1. Select the “File a Case” button and choose “File a Habeas Application.”
2. Select whether the application is for a death penalty case.
3. Enter the names of the Appellant and Appellee.
4. If the case is not a death penalty case, you will be prompted to choose a payment type. Choose whether you will pay by check, by credit card, or if your client is indigent.
Note: Amended Supreme Court Rule 5 (Costs) (amended effective March 1, 2012) prohibits the Clerk from receiving or filing an application without requisite costs or sufficient proof of indigency. If you elect not to pay by credit card at the time of your filing, payment of costs or a proper affidavit of indigency must be RECEIVED by the Clerk’s Office prior to filing. Filings received without payment of costs or sufficient proof of indigency will be rejected.
5. Choose whether your client is “Not Incarcerated” or “Incarcerated.”
6. Select “Browse” to upload the application. The file must be in searchable PDF format and not larger than 40 MB. Once your filing is selected, choose “Next.”
7. Select the “Habeas Court,” “Habeas County,” and “Trial Court Judge” from the drop down lists.
8. Type in the Case Number(s) and choose “Add.”
9. Select “Next” when all information is correct.
10. Enter the attorney information for all parties.
Note: You may also add a party at this time, if needed.