ATTORNEY ADMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
NOTE: Oral argument walk-in admissions no longer accepted.
Applicant Eligibility - Rule 4. An attorney may apply for admission to the Bar of the Court if:
- The attorney is in good standing with the State Bar of Georgia;
- Two attorneys, already admitted to this Court, endorse that the attorney is of good private and professional character.
Admission Checklist. An applicant must provide the Clerk with the following:
- Application for Admission (Click Here)
The prescribed admission fee payable by credit card (see payment website), exact cash or check to: Clerk, Supreme Court of Georgia.
Admission. The applicant may be admitted (a) in open court; (b) in absentia if the Georgia attorney is residing outside of the state; or (c) by appointment in chambers upon request of a Justice.
- (a) Admission in Open Court. Select a date from the oral argument dates listed on our website. Email the completed admission application to the Clerk's office at email@example.com. Applications must be received two (2) business days prior to your admission. The Clerk's office will email a confirmation when your admission form has been verified and processed. On the day of admission bring the original application and payment (if paying with cash or by check) to the Clerk's Office between 8:30 and 9:15 a.m. After your admission is processed, you will be directed to the Courtroom (6th Floor, State Judicial Building) for the 10:00 a.m. admission ceremony. Afterwards, you will be presented a wall license and asked to sign the attorney roll book. Friends and family are welcome to take photographs during the ceremony and you can purchase an admission ceremony DVD. (Click Here)
- (b) Admission In Absentia. The Court allows Georgia attorneys who reside out of the state to be admitted in absentia. Two items are required: the Application for Admission and the Oath (Click Here) to be administered by an appellate judge or a judge of a court of record, with your signed affirmation and the judge's attestation. Mail the original forms to the Clerk. Upon receipt and verification, you will be mailed a wall license showing you are admitted to this Court. Please note, the first time you return to Georgia, you must make an appointment with the Clerk's Office to sign the attorney roll book.
- (c) Admission In-Chambers. The Clerk will arrange for an in-chambers admission upon the request of a Justice. Once scheduled, completed applications must be emailed to the Clerk's office at firstname.lastname@example.org one (1) business day prior to the admission date. On the day of the admission arrive at the Clerk's Office 15 minutes prior to your appointment and bring the original application and payment (if paying with cash of check).
Professional attire is required for any admission conducted in the courtroom or in chambers. See Rule 55 (2). If you do not appear for your admission, the Clerk’s office will strike the application and you will be required to resubmit the application and the processing fee. All fees previously paid are non-refundable.